The implementation of the intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs) to the Paris agreement and the scaling-up of future ambition through the five-year review cycle will require actions at all levels (international, regional, local) and different actors (governments, regions, civil society and private actors) to fulfil the commitments made in Paris and accelerate the pace of decarbonisation at global scale. The Lima-Paris Action managed to mobilize a multi-stakeholder movement, bringing together a large number of cities, regions, private actors and civil society organisations to scale up climate action and speed up the uptake of innovative solutions.
In cooperation with the Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the European Union and Stiftung Asienhaus, the Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung EU Office has the pleasure to invite you to a conference focusing on regional and local best practices in tackling climate mitigation and adaptation challenges. We will discuss with a high-level audience how the EU institutions could better integrate these initiatives in existing institutional partnerships and sectoral dialogues with third countries. The event will look at the role of the EU, China and the US as the three largest emitters and the major global players in shaping the international energy governance.
Date: Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 9:00 - 13:00h (registration 08:30h)
Venue: Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the European Union, Rue Montoyer 47, 1000 Brussels
- Yunus Arikan, Head of Global Policy and Advocacy, ICLEI
- Pedro Ballesteros, DG Energy´s Special Envoy on “EU-China Partnership on Urbanization” und the “EU-China Mayors Forum”, European Commission
- Wen Bo, Scientific Advisor for National Geographic Society’s Air and Water Conservation Fund/ former China´s Advisor for the Global Greengrants Fund (GGF)
- Dai Chunyan, Green & Low-Carbon Development Think Tank Partnership
- Libby Ferguson, Director of State and Regions, The Climate Group
- Sirpa Hertell, Vice Chair of the ENVE Commission, European Committee of the Regions
- Jo Leinen, President of the China Delegation, European Parliament
- Claire Roumet, Executive Director, Energy Cities
- Stefan Schurig, Director of Climate and Energy, World Future Council
- Rüdiger Wagner, Executive Director, Environment and Health Division, City of Bonn
- Neil Walmsley, Manager, Finance and Economics, C40
- A representative from DG Clima (tbc)
For further information, please contact Radostina.Primova@eu.boell.org
Please save the date. An official invitation will follow in due course.
Registration is already possible under: Event.NRW@lv-eu.nrw.de keyword: CLIMATE LEADERSHIP
We look forward to your participation!